View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #30
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I do not have answeres for all the tales and I doubt some of the authors you put in:

I am not sure how was supposed to tell AElfwine the Silmarillion and the Valaquenta.

Narn Beren as you call it was old. I think we have signs that it was already known in Beleriand probably composed shortly after Beren and Lúthien returned from Mandos. But by whom, we don't know.

Narn Gondolin: I have no real idea, but in The Lost Tales it is told by Littlehaert son of Voronwe. He is not a bad candidate for that tale even so do not know if he ever apeared after The Lost Tales.

The Akalabeth was the work of Elendil. I think we are told so some were.

Of .... the second and third Age I don't think Aelfwine is a good candidate for this text. I would think Bilbo would be fitting.

Qennar Onotimo wrod some work about the counting of time but he is quoted in the Annals. That means it is more likly that Pengolodh worte the Annals of Aman. For the Gray Annals we are never told who made them. I wouldn't credit one single author with them. Probably they were gebun by Dairon but others finished them.
The Tale of the Years of the second and thrid age were made by Hobbits. I think Peregrin Took is credited with them. It is told in the prefarce of the Appendices.
I think that Tolkien later envisage all the Tales of the Years to have the same author. In the case of the First Age (and probably the the times before sun and moon) they were drawn from the longer Annals and for the later ages composed from the knowledge gained in Imladris and Minas Tirth.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote