View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #26
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
OK, thank you Doug. So given your full answer, I take it that your initial 'no' essentially means that you don't have an opinion either way -- as you don't know Christopher Tolkien well enough to have any idea about whether this pattern, as you call it, somehow reflects on his attitude towards women in general.

And I also wonder if you agree...

Quote:
Jallanite wrote: I read Kane's book and the inference that Christopher Tolkien was purposely attempting to get back at women by reducing their role in The Silmarillion never occurred to me. For me, it was Galin who raised that as a possibility. I took it as a given that the reduction of female roles was simply part of Christopher Tolkien often preferring a shorter version in the published Silmarillion over a longer version, and agree with Kane that this was mostly unfortunate.
... that this last sentence could stand as an accurate enough summation of your argument in Arda Reconstructed -- that the reduction in female roles was 'simply' part of Christopher Tolkien 'often' preferring a shorter version over a longer one.

Last edited by Galin; 07-25-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote