View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #120
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil
Introduction: I like your version, but why skip 'modern' and the part about the analphabetic use of English? I don't think we should skip this completly. What we edit is english and our readers are english speakers, so why we should skip this?
In Tolkien's text, there is an intermediate stage in Old English between the Elvish and the modern form we have. It seems pretty clear to me that the reference to modern English is only there to distinguish it from the Old English version of Aelfwine. If the translation is directly from Elvish to English, there's no reason to say 'modern' at all. To make an analogy, one would speak of translating something from, for example, "German to English" - one wouldn't say "German to modern English", because "English" with no qualifier, and no context, implies modern English.

The other phrase here, "that is forms of English intelligible to living users of the English tongue (who have some knowledge of letters, and are not limited to the language of daily use from mouth to mouth)", is an explanation of the word 'modern' for a non-linguistic audience. That is, Tolkien is explaining that he doesn't mean "modern" in the sense of current slang, but "modern" in the sense of English that is intelligible to living, literate, speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil
Finduilas/Gwindor/Turin: I do not agree that all the passages you mentioned are redundant. Some parts my be but not everything in it. It would be good if you could be more specific.
I'll have to review this again. It was years ago that I wrote these notes.

Quote:
NA-TI-28: I agree to use GA here. But I we have taken the statement of Orodreth giving Túrin more honore when he learned his Identity:
Ah, I must have missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
NA-EX-58: Why not insert the Dragon-helm?
Yes, looking at this again I do think the Dragon-helm needs to be explicitly mentioned. I'd edit it slightly differently, though:

Quote:
Then Túrin sprang about, and strode against him, <CoH and fire was in his eyes, >and the edges of Gurthang shone as with flame{; but}<CoH . But> Glaurung withheld his blast, and opened wide his serpent-eyes and gazed upon Túrin. And NA-EX-58 <Ap Narn {and Glaurung}, desiring to rid Túrin of {its}the aid and protection of the Dragon-helm (since he himself feared it), taunted him, saying that surely Túrin claimed to be his vassal and retainer, since he bore his master's likeness on the crest of his helm.
Quote:
But Túrin never has seen his sister Nienor in our version. Therefor I would edit:
Yes, I'm not quite sure what I was thinking here. I agree with your edit.

Last edited by Aiwendil; 10-08-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote