Thread: Smials
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Wellinghall Smial

I'm a member of Wellinghall Smial, of Greater Toronto, in Canada. We don't meet regularly, but definitely do for Tolkien Reading Day, when we gather to read some of our favourite passages to each other. Quaffing and eating are also involved.

However, Wellinghall is a very ambitious smial, for it produces the Silver Leaves Journal, which is sold to raise money for a very important fundraising venture: the White Tree Fund, an incorporated non-profit organization supporting charities engaged in crisis response, humanitarian programs, literacy & environmental initiatives. Many Tolkien communities are part of the White Fund and several Tolkien scholars and illustrators have contributed to Silver Leaves, such as Tom Shippey, Dimitra Fimi, and Jef Murray, to name a few. The fund is named after the White Tree of Gondor, and uses as its symbol, with the permission of the artist, the painting of the White Tree by Ted Nasmith, commissioned for the 2004 edition of The Silmarillion. (He also has sometimes attended Wellinghall Smial meetings.)

The White Tree Fund is inspired by the question: How have Tolkien's works inspired you to make the world a better place?

The fund has items for sale and also an arrangement with Amazon so that when books are ordered on Amazon through the White Tree Fund, a percentage of the sales goes to the fund. If you want to make a difference in the world, check out the link and see how you can show how Tolkien influenced you.

So, Wellinghall Smial is an active smial. If you live near the Place of Meeting (Huron) or Where Trees Are Standing in the Water (Mohawk) (also known as Muddy York or just plain Toronto) please consider joining us.

That Mohawk name is pretty cool for Wellinghall, no?