View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #54
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Dark-Eye Generations and Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haramu View Post
Discuss? What are your opinion about this cause I've heard many people say 'Game of Thrones' is much better than Lord of the Rings . In my honest opinion I don't consider it so because the book contains too much profanity and adultery and other stuff that just churns my stomach
Entirely outside of the realm of literature, in role playing games, in my youth I always played heroic characters. These days, trying to join a game at the local game store, an awful lot of players go beyond 'shades of gray' into a values system where might makes right. A few nights ago, I first had to remind another character that the Sergeant was encouraging us to take prisoners, not to slay them all. After that first success, I then had to persuade him to let her walk back rather than dragging her back by the hair.

Your statement above reflects subjectivity. A lot of younger readers are going to like Game of Thrones better. Many of them might perceive the values and themes of Game of Thrones as being more relevant and meaningful than LoTR. The Truths behind the magic and the conflict might speak stronger to one generation than another.

I'm an LoTR guy still, but I'm not going to try to persuade another who feels strongly otherwise.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote