View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #15
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
If you choose to assume the Balrog and his band of Orcs are a greater threat than Saruman and his armies who're looking for the Ring.
No one knew that there was a Balrog in Moria, however. They knew that there was something but not what it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
They could have called on the help of the Eagles for safe passage to Lorien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
So far as I know the Eagles were not simply called upon to do Gandalf or anyone else's bidding.
Moreover, how could Gandalf have simply "called on the help of the Eagles"? The only reason Gwaihir came to Isengard was because Radagast sent him. Later, around the time of the Council of Elrond, Radagast had disappeared. So I don't see how the Eagles were an option out in the wilderness. They appeared at other times when they were sent by someone else who had access to them.

As was established by Elrond, no one was under any obligation to do anything except Frodo himself, so I don't see how trying to force the issue by coercing Gandalf would have achieved anything. Wouldn't Aragorn "arresting" Gandalf (as implausible as the notion is in itself) have completely contradicted the fact that in the end it was Frodo who really had the final say in what happened?