View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
There's quite a lot in this chapter to like.

To start, I think the first section regarding the attacks of the Wainriders on the Northmen and the involvement with Gondor certainly sowed the seeds of the later friendship between the two peoples, and serves as a nice complement to ROTK Appendix A and The Tale of years, giving the reader some much-missed details of some important Middle-earth history.

In "The Ride of Eorl" we get a look at Ciron's motives in asking the Éothéod for aid, and Eorl's reasons for risking the lives of his people to answer the call. Eorl's line of thinking is simple: "If we don't help them, there'll be no help for us." No thoughts of reward, or compensation there. It shows Eorl to be a great, if simple man himself, though not one of the lofty Men of the Sea.
It is interesting that Eorl and his troops had that help from Lórien. I do think Galadriel's knowledge of the events they were involving themselves in could have been based on the Mirror, but perhaps more so on a general knowledge that the Éothéod were simply good Men, and their riding was part of a good purpose. After all, she herself noted that "The Mirror is dangerous as a guide of deeds"!

Finally, the scene upon the Hill of Awe, with the exchange of oaths between Cirion and Eorl is one of the most gorgeous moments in any of Tolkien's works. I love the picture of it. It seems to me that Cirion taking his part of the Oath in Quenya did indeed "hallow" both the spot and the Oath itself. That is borne out by an affirmation while he spoke that plainly was purposeful, and no coincidence of nature.

Quote:
For as [Cirion] stood up the sun went down in flame in the West and his white robe seemed to be on fire....
That speaking in Quenya, and above all, the naming of Eru to witness, was what made the bond between the two realms special. We don't see that sort of closeness anywhere else I can recall.