View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 08:36 PM   #38
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine liked the strength of courage in this young man Thornden. He also liked that he was able to speak with care at need. He had one more, no, two more tests, and the two would be wrapped one in the other so that they would be hard to tell apart, except in the mind of Eodwine. Thornden was probably somewhat bemused at the smirk that had appeared on Eodwine's face, but that would pass. Eodwine sat forward.

"You speak well, and that is a great thing. What is more, if your words, as I hunch me, are good grain from a good root, all the better. We shall put it to the test. Since you have said that you wish to be my steward, I give you the task for a little while. Be my steward for a month, and when that time has passed, we shall make a choice, you and I, whether this binding of man to man is as ought to be." He rose. "Let us shake on it!" Thornden rose and the two closed hand on hand. Thornden had a good grip, and a good smile.

"Good!" said Eodwine. "The first thing I need is for you to have a mind of your own that I may speak my thought to you, and you tell me what you think of it." Eodwine proceeded to describe to Thornden his plans, in some detail, to transform the great room into a mead hall, leaving the halls and rooms to the west, and kitchen at the back, as they were; and the east wall open to the stableyard. He described that which was in his mind for the hall itself, showing with word as well as gesture, pointing here and there, what was in his mind.

"The thing is, Thornden," Eodwine said at last, "the king has given me a manor with much land, and a building around which to rule it. The land is all my wealth. I hold it from the king, and the fees and fines that would have gone to him will now come to me, less that which the king requires of me as his liegeman. The long and short of it is that I have little coin, and need to get some to pay for all my dream as I have told you of it. This is where you come in. I was in earnest when I said I need an almbudsman. This afternoon, you must go to the king, learn from him what fines and fees are outstanding, and begin to bring the coin in so that we can pay for not only the building but the needs of those who will be of my house. And I would hear you on anything I have told you, as you will. You have my ear. I do not require it of you this minute, but come with me and let us see how the hall fairs."

With that, Eodwine with Thornden at his side moved about the hall and grounds, seeing how things went in the kitchen, stables, rooms, and amongst the few carpenters who had arrived as yet.