View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 03:54 AM   #268
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
“Incredible,” said the Princess politely, but with evident fatigue. “Fascinating.”

“Well, indeed!” enthused the aged librarian, his rheumy eyes doing something akin to shining. “This is a very rare manuscript, and I’m sure you will not mind my remarking that even I was not aware of its presence here. Truly incredible. But so archaic, and such ridiculous claims! A truly remarkable find, my lady, you must forgive an old man’s enthusiasm.”

He drew to a close, breathing heavily. His gnarled but deft fingertips brushed the surface of the tattered parchment cautiously.

Estelyn smiled, although had he been looking directly at her, he would have seen it was more a grimace than an expression containing any pleasure. She knew too well the veracity of some of the parchment’s ‘claims’. A secret society devoted to the construction, protection and secrecy of the great Lab’rinthe under Minas Tirith… This would have been peculiar enough, but what had nearly cracked her imperturbability was the constant and almost shameless mention of Gorthaur’s Will.

However, her mind was made up. She needed to make her way to Mount Mindolluin, and before that, pay the visit to the Seventh Star that a peculiar summons that morning warranted.

“Keep it safe,” she pressed the librarian. “Many find documents containing such claims of these dark materials to be foul and would…”

“My lady,” he hissed with asperity and some good humour. “I have worked here long enough…”

She left with half a smile playing on her features, but a chill upon her heart.

On to the Star.