View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
Balfrog
Haunting Spirit

Balfrog has just left Hobbiton.
Huinesoron

You are absolutely right – there could be an improvement to the article by adding a few more pictures – as Ms. Seth builds her case. I would like to see some compass directions, labeling defining the various rooms, as well as positions of doors, windows and other features.

I, for one, definitely appreciate your visual. And I like your point about chimney sharing between rooms.

I tend to agree with you that the shadow stuff is unnecessary. Her plan view shape analysis is sufficient. Nevertheless reviewing Tolkien's text – the hobbits appear to have left reasonably early in the morning (as Tom advised them) and they didn't reach the Hill till midday. Shadows tend to be longer early in the morning (and late in the day) and in the Northern hemisphere – the shadow for a tall structure such as a chimney falls in the southern sector. So as the hobbits had headed northwards after leaving Tom's house and looked back southwards from the Hill-brow (with Goldberry) – the chimney shadow might have added to the chimney itself – thus accentuating the 'head of the cross' from the hobbits perspective.

I might be totally wrong on this – but I suspect that's where the “exaggerated shadow” is coming from per her analysis.
Some clarification is needed on her part here.

Pitchwife

One of the matters that one might internally wrestle with is what height did Tolkien envisage for the main room when he stated it was “low”? To an average height man a low room would probably be somewhere around 6~7 ft. From a hobbit's perspective 'low' might be 4 ~ 5 ft perhaps. Also I can't see Tom knocking his head against the ceiling beams – but the text doesn't have him wearing his tall hat inside the house. With only one window in the room and the “low" description – I think it must have been quite cosy! But 'Who' really knows? One would have to be a Time Lord to ask Tolkien!
Balfrog is offline   Reply With Quote