View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 06:59 AM   #51
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I've just finished a remarkable book - The Uncharted Realms of Tolkien, by Alex Lewis & Elizabeth Currie, published by Medea in the UK(available via Amazon UK) which deals with a lot of this. There's a long essay on Bombadil.
You have to keep in mind, I think, that the Bombadil/Old Forest episode goes right back to the original drafts of LotR, when it was only a sequel to the Hobbit. The Whole Middle Earth aspect - ie the links bsck to the Silmarillion were to be no stronger than they were in the Hobbit. That seems to be why the Fellowship has a more 'fairytale feel to it. Even the name Bombadil has no 'Elvish' elements - unless as Lewis/Currie suggest- you take the -'dil' ending into consideration. But they connect Bombadil to various figures from Celtic myth & legend.
I think basically Tolkien wasn't starting LotR as a part of the Legendarium, & by the time he'd decided to incorporate it, he'd already created too much of the 'world' of Middle Earth in the 3rd age to discard all of it. So Bombadil & the Old Forest remained.
Lets face it, Bk 1 especially fits rather awkwardly with the rest of the book. Maybe that's relevent to Frodo's saying his return felt 'like falling asleep again'.