View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am really not surprised ... sadly around here land prices are too high for it to be just too attractive for developers to buy single dwellings on good sized plots and whack a load of flats on them. However my giref is controllable in this case as it was not an attractive building - though I am sure that the convenience of a modern single story dewlling was a boon for the arthritic Edith.

While it backs onto Branksome chine which is a mini Rivendell and is very close to the sea, I would not want to live there even if I had the money. While Tolkien was clearly quite spritely up to the end (going on the Carpenter description of how he walked into the town centre from the Miramar a few days before he fell ill - that is a fair and steepish walk, though Carpenter may have meant the Lansdowne shopping area which is a lot nearer) there are no amenities near Lakeside Road save the Lido and again there are a lot of gradients.

Really it was an odd choice for a non driver and Given that there are many locations in the vicinity just as picturesque and more convenient - and a great deal cheaper - I can only assume that the exclusive nature of Canford Cliffs where - lots of money and "new" money bought a certain amount of welcome anonymity which you wouldn't get in a village or district with any sense of community.

However the fact that it is now in the hands of a developer means I feel I can go an take photos now with a clear conscience.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote