View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #310
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tolkien The language of Myths

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli
This sort of collectivism is I think inevitable in Tolkien's mythological mode, where peoples often stand in for characters. The Doom of Mandos destroyed a lot of Noldor (and Sindar and Men) who weren't even born at the time of the Kinslaying.
Accepted....but we don't think in 'mythological mode'. We are 21st century readers with a 21st century perspective. The problem is, we could accept Morgoth or Sauron indulging in mass slaughter because that's the kind of thing the do - they are 'evil' & slay indiscriminately. Eru is supposed to fall into the other camp.

LMP's statement that Eru cannot be flawed makes the whole thing so much more difficult - we are required to accept that an omnipotent, omniscient deity will commit an act of horrific destruction without even questioning it. Eru did it so it is 'good'. But what standards are we applying - what constitutes 'good' - is it whatever Eru does? If so then Eru could go around hurling thunderbolts at all & sundry, good, bad, old, young, black, white & it would be 'good' simply because Eru does it. Yet no reader would accept that. The reader can only accept that Eru is 'good' if his behaviour conforms to some objective standard of 'good'. But does Eru's destruction of Numenor conform to this standard?
Well, I guess William Cloud Hickli actually knocked the right door. What davem says here is true, we are 21st century readers and Tolkien was 20th century writer. But the Elves, Men, Dwarves, Hobbits... are not 20th or 21st century beings. Middle-Earth is a world which does not have the modern or postmodern views on things, it is a mythical world. And people in the "mythical age" or how should I call it, all the cultures in past times of our Earth, had their myths that reflected reality in their understanding of it. And this is how Middle-Earth works, like a mythical world. The people back then didn't have that understanding of God as we have now - so their tales were quite generalized, as William Cloud Hickli said. This is for example the mentioned (and to Akkallabëth quite similar) tale of Sodom and Gomorrah - from our modern, also New-Testament-based view of the Christian God, it does not seem fitting for God loving its creation to wipe out whole city including even little children (and this is what makes it difficult for many people to accept the "drastic tales" of the original Hebrew Bible). But the point of that story lies elsewhere, and it is that the only one who was not wicked was saved - Akallabëth shows something very similar. The main thing is to realize that every tale has its context in the age in which it is presented, and understanding it depends on taking the viewpoint of people living in that age. I am not speaking now of simple reading the story for pleasure - we can enjoy the tale just by reading it; I think we all can read tales from, let's say, Greek mythology and not thinking about if it makes sense ("But Olympus was not that high", "But the Earth isn't flat"). But when we start digging deeper into it, we will ultimately hit some obstacle which wouldn't fit with our 21st century point of view. And here we have only two options: say "This is nuts, the story is silly, it does not make sense, we all know the Earth isn't flat" or try to look at the story from the point of its time. And the Akkallabëth, though it does not have any "real" background in the world (sorry to those who believe ME really existed back then ), is written in the language of myths, so we have to accept it. "The whole island was destroyed, with all its men, women, and children" - total destruction, you have commited crime, the crime that is so great that it has impact on the whole nation. Saying "And everyone died, only the little children were taken by Elendil who collected them from all the homes" or something like that will totally destroy the point of the story. The motive of the story is Trespassing, no Repentance, Punishment.

This does not, by any matter, discard the point that Lalwendë and others have raised here, that Eru as an omni-creator and omni-ruler does ultimately have the right to do this if he wishes. But as davem correctly said, Eru is presented as good, not evil, and so if we want to preserve the logic of his character, we must take the story this way - as a myth, and not bother about whether even little children died there. We are 21st century readers, but I doubt the people in Middle-Earth thought about it like we do, they are not 21st century people. The point it would have for the inhabitants of the Middle-Earth would be a tale of Gift, of misusing it, of greed and many others... and warning for the Men not to do this again.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote