Thread: Thuringwethil
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #24
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by denethorthefirst View Post
Well, one could also interpret the "Lay of Leithian" that Thuringwethil wore some kind of elaborate flying apparatus that Luthien then took off her and used for herself ... that would be a somewhat technical explanation but one that would fit with what we know about Arda. The description of the "garb" ("iron nails") seems to point in that direction. Luthien can't change or "transform" (as you put it) her form/hroa no matter how powerful she is, it is not in her nature. So she either took Thuringwethils flying apparatus OR she skinned Thuringwethil and wore her fur. How she would be able to fly while wearing a fur with wings is a bit less believable, but maybe she worked some kind of spell, that would certainly be in her power.
Ah... Okay, denethorthefirst, I've got to say that- respectfully- I totally disagree with this interpretation, don't think it fits at all with "what we know about Arda" (flying machines? Since when?) and am honestly not sure where you're getting these rules about what characters can and can't do. (I think you may perhaps have fallen into the "Tolkien Trap" of believing the "rules" of the Professor's sub-creation to be more finalised and absolute than they actually were).

Anyway, as I said before, shapeshifting which is magical, yet relies on a skin, cloak etc, is very common in folklore worldwide and (I'd say) does fit with the "dark fairytale" quality of the story in question.