View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #7
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
The second age is so muddled and confusing, I think this is a great first chapter. A few comments:

1)
Quote:
Therefore when Eönwë departed he hid himself in Middle-earth; and he fell back into evil, for the bonds that Morgoth bad laid upon him were very strong.
There's a small typo in text Arcus sent to me. It should say "bonds that Morgoth had laid upon him".

2) Both Ered Luin and Ered Lindon are both used to refer to the Blue Mountains. Are we using whatever Tolkien used in a particular text? Or is part of this project to regularize names, i.e. use Ered Luin consistently?

3) I know Celeborn is a Sindar who eventually becomes a leader of the Silvan elves in Lorien, but it seems like the added sections about Celeborn and Galadriel only describe their settling in Eregion and therefore these sections don't really seem to fit based on the title of the chapter, unless we add in their settling in Lórinand. Later in the chapter it states that Oropher resented the intrusions of Celeborn and Galadriel into Lórinand but this is not discussed in the chapter. Are we attempting to make the sequence of chapters chronological to the best of our ability? I also have some comments about the text itself, I have bolded parts I wish to discuss:

Quote:
But such a policy having no hope of acceptance among the Elves of Beleriand, Galadriel and Celeborn departed over Ered Lindon before the end of the First Age{; and when they received the permission of the Valar to return into the West they rejected it}.> SP-SL-11 <Editorial addition based on the head note to ‘Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn’ {Celeborn “escaped the sack of Doriath”}When Celeborn returned later to Doriath> SP-SL-12 <HoME12; Part 1; Ch. VI; T4; Note 10 she passed east over the mountains and forsook Beleriand, and first of all the Noldor came to the inner lands; and too late she heard the summons of {Fionwë}[Eönwë].> SP-SL-13 <The History of Galadriel and Celeborn For love of Celeborn, who had SP-SL-14 <The History of Galadriel and Celeborn escaped the sack of Doriath> and would not leave Middle-earth (and probably with some pride of her own, for she had been one of those eager to adventure there), she did not go West at the Downfall of Melkor, but crossed Ered Lindon with Celeborn and came into Eriador. When they entered that region there were many Noldor in their following, together with Grey-elves and Green-elves; and for a while they dwelt in the country about Lake Nenuial (Evendim, north of the Shire).
I am very confused about the timeline here. First it is stated Galdriel and Celeborn cross the Blue mountains before the end of the First Age. Then it says Celeborn returned later to Doriath. Returned from where? And hasn't Doriath already been sunk with the rest of Beleriand at this time? Then it says Galadriel and Celborn pass east over the mountains and forsook Beleriand. I'm assuming these are the Blue Mountains; haven't they already crossed them? Later it again says Galadriel crossed Ered Lindon with Celeborn.

4)
Quote:
and indeed greatest in skill among them was Celebrimbor, son of Curufin
There is a long section before this about the lineage of Celebrimbror, so saying he is the "son of Curufin" here seems redundant.

5) I like the addition of Amdir to this section, but I wish there was a bit more we could say about him. If the chapters aren't meant to be completely chronological, I think we could add in the two paragraphs (with some minor editorial changes) from Unfinished Tales in the "Amroth and Nimrodel" section after Christropher Tolkien says "The essay continues with a brief explanation...":

Quote:
"The people of Lorien were even then {[i.e. at the time of the loss of Amroth]}...At that time Elrond went westward {[sic; probably meaning simply that he did not cross the Misty Mountains]}...Amroth, his son, became king".
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote