View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #123
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Bekah knew better than to be influenced by the conciliatory tone which Faroz had finally adopted. Usually he employed it, after his anger, to lull an opponent into an unwary disclosure, which he would then turn to his own account in recompense for the initial error. Yet he had never, ever used this method with her. But he was now and even worse he seemed to be enjoying her discomfort. How much the arrival of this Emissary had changed him. Or brought out something in him that had usually been quiescent. She watched him stroke this ring that others had spoken off and saw a flicker of something cross his face as his tone changed. She felt a chill of fear rise in her along with anger that she should be so treated.

Her discovery of his absence must have angered him greatly. That must mean, she thought, that it not a legitimate absence. He must have been hiding something or somewhere, for his whereabouts not to be known. He had refused to account for himself. A king, of course, need not account for himself, yet the event here was of such surprising moment that, under previous circumstances, she felt sure he would have explained himself to her. Yet he had not. And had chosen to blame her. How dare he!

But Bekah bit her tongue, as she always did when she felt overwhelmed by her emotions. The sharp prick of slight pain worked to calm her, as she knew it would. She sought for precious few moments in which to construct a reply which would placate her husband without provoking him. She forced down the snear which had threatened to break out on her face and she recalled how common a response that had been in her father in Alanzia. How long ago she had learnt that anger and violence only incited greater fury! Yet here she was now tempted to return to the old ways. Well, she would resist them, especially as it seemed Faroz was somehow wanting her to display those old traits. She would not give him the satisfaction.

"With your leave, Khamul, you misunderstand my concern. Or rather, we have not had the opportunity to discuss the matter. It is not with the Emissary himself that my concern lies. I am happy for you that you find in him a pleasing cordiality. I know how onerous are the duties and responsibilites inherent in balancing affairs of state and welcome your opportunity for friendship."

"What concerns me, my lord, is how this offer intrudes upon the careful peace which you have so cunningly constructed for Pashia. The land now prospers in no small measure due to your efforts to over come years of desolation from war. I feared to speak publically of this as I know many here still remember me as a Princess of Alanzia, an enemy come into the heart of the country. I fear what this offer of alliance will do to upset the accord with Alanzia. I fear what my brother-monarch might be tempted to do if he should hear from other ears that you have sought an alliance with another country."

"You are always thinking of Alanzia. Alanzia!" he retorted. "You have even filled out children's heads with stories of the country."

Bekah bristled at the unfairness of his claim but she kept a tight hold on her feelings. Her head would rule, she determined.

"My lord, what monarch can rule in his country's best interests if he does not know what lies beyond his own borders? Shall our children be at the mercy of their uncle's understanding of the affairs of state? I came here ignorant of your ways and terrified that I would be treated as an enemy. Instead I found a king and a husband and a country which did not demand power so much as enterprise and proserity. My lord, you listened before you made your decrees and ever sought a balance between conflicting desires. This was not the way I had been raised and I learned the merit of your way. I wanted our children to appreciate that merit. They could do so only by understanding a way that lacked such kingly vision."

Faroz settled back into his pillows, absent mindedly toying with the ring again. He still did not invite her to sit down.

" I wished to ask you how to proceed in this matter in my private correspondence with my brother. You had not yet directed me how to inform him of the Emissary's arrival and I felt that such an announcement needed to be made. He should not be able to claim that I had hidden the matter from him. Yet only you could appreciate fully--or I felt could appreciate fully--the delicate balance of the situation, for only you and two of our courtiers know of my correspondence with him."

Bekah stopped. If he would not invite her to sit down, she would stand as tall and as proudly as she could. Her fear she masked, for she felt that would only incite him more. She dared not tell him bluntly that she felt he was betraying matters of state by his own reckless personal behaviour. It was the first time she had felt unable to be honest with him. That in itself was a chilling as the strange feeling which kept haunting her whenever he moved to touch this ring.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 01-03-2005 at 02:53 PM.