View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Well, personally I think the Eagles may be a case of 'deux ex machina' as they had not been an integral part of the story (besides perhaps saving Gandalf from harm) and I can't recall knowing how they got there.

On the other hand, I strongly disagree with Gollum being anywhere near the definition. First of all, he is definetly a big part of the story. Frodo would have never made it to where he did if it wasn't because of Gollum, even though his betrayal. Then, we just don't know what happens to Gollum, but ithere is some mention of him by the two orcs that were looking for Frodo and Sam once they escape from the tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTK
'All right, all right!' said the tracker. 'I'll say no more and go on thinking. But what's the black sneak got to do with it all? That gobbler with the flapping hands?'
'I don't know. Nothing, maybe. But he's up to no good, nosing around, I'll wager. Curse him! No sooner had he slipped us and run off than word came he's wanted alive, wanted quick.''Well, I hope they get him and put him through it,' growled the 241 tracker. 'He messed up the scent back there, pinching that cast-off mail-shirt that he found, and paddling all round the place before I could get there.'
So we know Gollum is still around and even more, he is still following Frodo (he messed up the scent, therefore he is probably following it)

Besides, in retrospective, it's quite evident that Gandalf knew that Gollum would have something to do with the destruction of the ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship
'Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it. And he is bound up with the fate of the Ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end; and when that comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many--yours not least.
I must say I added the first part mostly because I love that quote *blushes* but there we see Gandalf 'hinting' that Gollum might yet do something. When he helps the hobbits get into Mordor you can say "ah, that was it" and then he turns up in the very end (of the Ring anyhow) and destroys it.... then you realize that was his destiny all along.

Having said that, I also agree with Lalwendė in her assesment of Gollum's end.