View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
You seem to be addressing the one case, I myself am a bit dissatisfied with Tolkien. It sure would have been beautiful, if Sam and Frodo had died at the mount Doom! That would have been a story worth singing about.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Even if the Eagles may have been slightly out of place (more on that in a second), I definitely disagree about Sam and Frodo dying at Mt. Doom. Not only would this be extremely depressing, it would also be dissatisfying, at least to me. The story would not be complete. It would completely remove the topic of healing (or the lack thereof) and how you really can't go back, both for Sam and Frodo, but especially Frodo. It's one of those cases where dying would almost be the easier way out. The fact that they must go on and deal with it is one of the poignant things about the book.

Concerning the Eagles. Yes, I would say that they are definitely a case of Deus ex Machina. In some ways, they don't really 'fit.' Gwaihir, of course, has connections with Gandalf - are Eagles capable of osanwë? But if Frodo and Sam were to be saved, then there really doesn't seem to be much way around it. The circumstances were too dire and everyone else too far away, even if they could be able to rescue them. And although the Eagles could not have brought the Ring directly to Mordor because it would draw too much attention, there is already a battle going on (or about to go on when they start out), it's not like they're going to bring a lot of extra attention. The other thing that perhaps is not considered enough is that the Eagles might actually have come to aid in the battle (that question of osanwë again), and that their aid was just needed when Gandalf realized what was going on. So I suppose the case could be presented either way. Just like Gollum's death can be explained in other ways, so can the appearance of the Eagles.

And in a fantasy world that does have a God, and in a story where there are the themes of hope and mercy and healing, maybe the Eagles aren't so out of place after all.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote