View Single Post
Old 09-08-2002, 02:50 PM   #161
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

As the afternoon wore on, Carathon fell further and further behind the horses, sometimes being out of sight for minutes at a time. At last, with an irritated sigh, Thorondruin signalled a halt.

"Let's make camp here. Himelilek, will you go and find that boy? He's disappeared. Oz, help me gather firewood. I wonder if Carathon can cook?" This last was an aside to himself as he considered ways the boy might be useful.
Ozracles was offended. "Firewood?? You want me to gather-" He broke off at the look on Thorondruin's face "All right, all right," He muttered.
They two gathered sticks and piled them while they waited for Himelilek to return. Eventually she did, but without Carathon. She shrugged at Thorondruin's questioning look.
"I didn't see him. I did find this, though," And she indicated a second horse being led behind her own. "Oh, and this, too." She handed Thorondruin a sack. Looking in, he discovered some food and quite a lot of money. He looked up at her with a grin.
"'Found it', eh? Excellent work." She smiled in return.

There was a disturbance among the horses. Looking, Thorondruin discerned the cause. "Ah, Carathon! Returned at last! Have some more meat!" He tossed a chunk at him, but Carathon fumbled in trying to catch it and it fell into the mud. Starving as he was, he ate it anyway, causing Ozracles to laugh again.

"Tell me, boy, do you cook?" Thorondruin asked in a mock-fatherly tone. Carathon gave him such a miserable look that Thorondruin took a step back. He was unaccustomed to seeing such expressions. He turned away, muttering, "Well, eat the meat, anyway," Then turned back and added, "Hithduiniel has gotten you a horse. There it is."

Carathon looked around suspiciously, wondering where the Elf would have gotten a horse in the middle of the woods, but decided it might be a better idea not to ask. These seemed like hard folk and he might not like the answer.

They all settled down for the night. No one did the cooking; they all ended up eating dried meat. Himelilek and Ozracles gave him questioning looks, but Thorondruin ignored them. He was a little ashamed at his own weakness in dealing with the boy and didn't want to deal with the others' judgement of him as well.

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]