View Single Post
Old 09-16-2002, 12:40 PM   #177
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
1420!

<Susan, you're psychic. I was just thinking it should start to rain!>
< Please note: the (dis)organization of Delgado & Ibaimendi, Inc, assumes no liability for damages, psychological harm, or loss of higher brain functions resulting from antagonization of the barbarian. >

Remdil sat his horse with the greatest dignity he could muster. He was sore, tired and wet, and Eolinda (though twice the horseman he was) seemed to feel the same way. She sat stiffly on the horse ahead of him, and the storm clouds on her face rivaled those of the sky. She snarled at Dineniel over the meal, but the Elf simply shrugged it off, as she did the fact that Eolinda continued to address her as "Razawyn" for some reason.

Heavily the low sky rained over walled Neniant. They weren't far from town; they would have seen it from their campsite in better light. They rode toward it quietly.

"Have you been here before?" Dineniel asked suddenly.

Eolinda glared at her but didn't answer. Remdil considered.

"A few times, yes, but not for years. Only the merchants ride back and forth now. There are dangerous people out here." The last said without thinking, and with a furtive glance at the Elf as an afterthought. She didn't seem to notice.

"Do they know you there?" He shook his head. "What about those walls?"

"What about them? There's a gate."

Eolinda broke in impatiently. "Must you always think like a thief, you thief? We're respectable people, we enter the town like respectable people, we conduct ourselves respectably there, and we leave in a calm and rational manner! What's the matter with you?"

Remdil flinched. Dineniel shrugged and rode a little faster.

"You'll watch her, won't you?" Remdil whispered to his wife. She nodded solemnly as they neared the watchtower. A voice was calling to them.

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum