View Single Post
Old 09-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #190
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

"Hmmph"

The others turned to look at him, but he just shook his head and gestured to the remaining horses. "Come on, let's go. Livia, you're riding with me."
Carathon glanced back toward where Ozracles and Himelilek had disappeared. "We're just leaving them? Shouldn't we wait or something?"
"Hey! Who's is charge here? We're leaving."
"But-"
"On the horse!" Meekly, Carathon obeyed, and waited for Thorondruin's will. "Follow me."
Carathon looked like he'd like to ask where they were going, but thought better of it.

They rode back in the direction they'd come from for about a mile, then turned off onto a s track going into the trees. After a few minutes, they came in sight of Thorondruin's goal: a small farm surrounded by tall trees. Thorondruin stopped and watched for a while, then dismounted and had Carathon dismount too. He tied Livia securely, then gestured for carthon to follow, leading the horses. Carathon wondered what they were doing here, but didn't quite have the nerve to ask. As it happened, he didn't have to; Thorondruin volunteered the information.

"We need supplies. This farm looks like a good place to secure them."
Somehow, Carathon doubted that meant they were going to buy them from the farmer.
Thorondruin continued, "Boy, when we get into that barn, I just want you to stand and hold the horses. I'll get the supplies."
Sure, he could do that. And he did, right up until the voice yelled from the entrance, "Hai! What are you doing?"

Thorondruin whirled around, startled, in one hand a sack full of pilfered vegetables, in the other a dagger he'd been about to use to kill a young pig. He stared at the figure in the doorway, unable to move. It seemed he'd made a terrible mistake; this was no ordinary farm, apparently, not a human farm but one belonging to the Sindar, and in the doorway stood a young Elven maiden.

"I asked you a question," she said with all the imperiousness of the righteous.
Throndruin decided he should act as if nothing were amiss. "We're travelling through and we needed supplies."
"M-hm. And the reason you chose our farm?"
"It was the closest."
"I see. And were you planning to pay for what you're so generously helping yourself to?"
Thorondruin put on the most sincere grin he could under the circumstances. "Of course I was! Do I look like some sort of thief?" He spread his hands wide assumed a "fine, upstanding" posture.
The girl made no comment, but looked thoughtful.
"Well, I hate to be in such a rush, but we really must be going, " Thorondruin said. He dropped the sack with a soft thump and bustled toward the door, but the girl stopped him.
"Why are you really here?" She asked.
Annoyed, he responded, "I told you, we needed supplies. Now will you get out of the way?"
"No, I want to go with you."
"What?"
"You heard me, take me with you."
Before Thorondruin could respond, Carathon said, "Sir, just take her or don't, but let's go...I hear someone behind the barn."
Thorondruin paused to listen, and, sure enough, he could hear voices speaking softly from the other side of the barn's far wall.
The girl jerked straight. "It's my father!" she hissed, "Let's go!"
"Fine! Carathon, grab those vegetables. Girl, can you ride?"
She snorted. "My name's not 'girl', and of course I can." She went to a side stall and led a horse out to where the others were waiting. They leapt on their horses and rode quickly, but quietly, back to where Thorondruin had left Livia. She was gone. Thorondruin stared for a moment before Himelilek's voice called from not far off, "I have her Thor, let's go. Who's the Elf?
"Long story. We gotta get out of here; there may be pursuit."
"Oh, that's just great, esteemed leader, can't even steal some lousy vegetables without getting caught," Ozracles' voice was mocking and he sneered, pleased. He was also covered in blood and seated on his recovered horse.
"Shut up, idiot, we have to go!"