View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 05:08 PM   #197
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
Sting

Eolinda felt a wave of disgust at seeing the others simply stand and watch as the poor, miserable looking boy walked away into the rain. Had they no comapssion? She supposed she'd have to to it herself, just like always.

"Wait!" She called to the boy's retreating back. He turned around, eyes lighting up with hope. He returned, slowly. when he stopped a dozen paces away, she said, "What's your name?"

He shrugged. "Don't have one."

"Oh. Well, we can't just call you 'boy'. What do you want us to call you?"

He shrugged again. He really looked miserable. "Blind Tobey and some of the others call me da, but I'm not."

"Who's Blind Tobey?" Remdil asked
"Are you hungry?" Eolinda asked similtaneously.

"Blind Toby's my little brother. I'm hungry. Do you have food?"

"Certainly." Eolinda said, getting some dried meat and bread out of her pack. The boy wolfed them eagerly. After he'd finsihed, he looked at them, a mite suspicious.

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

Eolinda frowned. "Why shouldn't I be? I know how it feels to go hungry." In fact, she knew nothing of the sort, but she ignored Remdil's nudge to that effect.

The boy only stared back. He may be younng, but he knew that nobody did anything for someone else without expecting something in return.

The silence stretched on for several minutes. Remdil was uncomfortable, but he, who actaully did know what it was like in the boys shoes-well, in a manner of speaking, anyway- did not want to be the one to confirm his suspicions. Eolinda felt quite all right with the situation, since she was the one who'd actually fed the boy. It was Dineniel who finally spoke up.

"We need information," she said.

The boy heaved a sigh of relief. Was that all? He nodded and addressed the Elf. "What do you need to know?"

"We need to know if you've seen two men and a- a woman like me ride through here either today or late yesterday. One of the men would have had a girl with her."

The boy, who missed very little that went on in Nenient, hadn't seen the thing she was describing and said so. Remdil and Eolinda looked sorely disappointed, but Dineniel looked as if it was exactly what she'd been expecting to hear.