View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 04:35 AM   #1
Eldariil

Question Need help with Common>Elvish for a project

Hi! This is my first thread/post here. I'm sure it is the first of many.

Sadly, I must ask you for a favor. I am making a LOTR-themed wallpaper, not based off of any particular tome or passage, but rather promoting the series as a whole.

I must now confess that, though I have been an avid fan of Tolkien's works for some time now, and have read the four books (the trillogy + The Hobbit) twice, I know nothing of Elvish. This is where I need your help.

In my wallpaper, there is room that I have allocated for a poem. If you are so curious, you may take a glance at the wallpaper in it's current stages via the link at the bottom of this post. The poem I speak of is fairly common, I have seen at least one of you that uses it as his/her signature. It is traced by some as "a poem by Gandalf", while others trace it to Bilbo's work. In any case, clarification on the issue is much needed and appreciated.

The poem, if I remember correctly, goes as such:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Since I have no knowledge or means to translate it, I ask you to do this for me as a favor, and if possible to give me a copy (any format is fine) of the finished text, in Elven script.

In return, alongside my eternal gratitude, I shall inscribe whatever name you choose in the credits (the bottom line) with the phrase "Translation by _________". The community will also have access to the finished wallpaper first, immediately after it goes into the DeviantArt database.

I thank you for your help.

http://img107.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...lpaper13ch.jpg