View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #389
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Garstan stood pacing uncomfortably outside of Farahil's room. Lčođern and Garmund were left behind to wait for Cnebba to come out from dinner. The boy seemed a good enough child from the little Garstan had heard on their walk before delivering Cnebba to take a meal. He was, for the moment, satisfied with the boy, though he wanted still to meet Cnebba's family.

But for the moment, Garstan had a more pressing concern in Linduial. Why, and how, had he ever managed to be drawn into this situation? It was none of his affair. He had no place meddling in the concerns of those above him in rank. But this time, this one time, he did. There was now a tie between Linduial, her family, and him. Garstan didn't know what was expected of him, but he felt it his duty to report what he had seen. Courtship. Garstan thought of his daughter. He would certainly want his permission asked before Lčođern received any suitors. And therein was the rub. Linduial had spoken without seeking her brother's advice. Garstan didn't think her action had been correct. He needed to be sure that her behavior was proper, and accepted by her family. For Linduial's future and her family's position. Perhaps not the place for a mere stoneshaper to speak, but this was not an ordinary circumstance.

He rapped on the door. Farahil opened it and looked at Garstan in some surprise.

"Garstan. Yes. What is it?"

He entered the room uneasily, not knowing how to begin or even what to say. How much should he tell, and how much of the tale should be Linduial's?

"My lord. I thought that I should tell you. Your sister seeks the courtship of Lord Degas. I heard her speak to him." The image of Linduial in Degas' arms returned to him. He chose to remain silent on that point. It was enough to speak of the courtship. Linduial could speak to her brother of particulars. "I thought that you, her brother, should be aware."

He hoped that was enough.