View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #46
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Asta did not actually drop the tree she had been fitting into place, but she set it down very hastily indeed before dashing to her sister's side. Brinn was clutching her ankle and wincing. The tree next to her swayed violently back-and-forth; even as Asta got there it slipped from its controlling rods and fell across Brinn with a rustling crash. Asta pulled it off her, almost wailing when she saw the damage. The tree-prop was a hollow affair, too lightweight to hurt Brinn any more than she was already, but it had itself been crushed right out of shape, the wires and struts of its framework bent, snapped or protruding through rents in the fabric skin.

"I think– I think it's broken!" said Brinn.

"Broken? It's ruined!" said Asta. "At least, I don't think I can fix it in time for–"

"No, silly, I mean my ankle," gasped Brinn, white-faced with pain.

By this time the others had gathered around. Rollan prised his wife's fingers from her ankle, which indeed was swelling and discolouring rapidly. He said he did not think it was broken, though he was not sure, but that it looked pretty bad.

"Brinn, you are a clumsy goat sometimes," said Asta, more in sympathy than insult. "Objects just seem to jump out and– and bite you! Oh dear, oh dear, what are we going to do now?"

Brinn echoed her distress, concerned not for herself but for the fate of the performance, for she doubted her foot would be better in time.

"Oh, don't worry, we'll find some way..." Asta looked around her as if for inspiration, but saw only the gaping mouths of the Evil Trees, leering in mockery. "I've always heard there's very good healers in the White City. Or perhaps we could have the Sorceress sit down– she could be on a throne, you know... or maybe," she added with just a touch of malice, "Therian, you could take over the rôle?"

Last edited by Nerwen; 03-14-2011 at 09:08 AM.