View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #78
Balfrog
Haunting Spirit

Balfrog has just left Hobbiton.
In the third part of the series on Color Symbolism – Ms. Seth explores how the color red is a necessary part of the equation needed to 'solve' Tom. Red and green, as she points out are the two most significant colors associated to fairy beings. Both of them are subtly reflected by Tom.

https://priyasethtolkienfan.wordpres...lorful-pair-3/

Ms. Seth's views on color symbolism and Tom are definitely interesting. To me, far more interesting are the 'buried' and 'deliberately' hidden Jack and the Beanstalk allusions in TLotR.
If one follows and agrees with her train of thought – then what we begin to realize are that there are aspects to the story that are still to be exposed. Even 60 years and 200 million plus readers later – there's still important matters able to be uncovered.

Being privy to some of her essays to come – I know her thoughts regarding one matter that has always intrigued readers. That being the out-of-mythology identity of the three trolls in both The Hobbit and TLotR. To be revealed is how the Jack in the Beanstalk theme links into them and her opinion of whom Tolkien modeled the names on. To me it's a very convincing theory. And I think it's likely to be revealed within the next essay or two.
Balfrog is offline   Reply With Quote