View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #23
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
... I don't recall ever reading that in any of Tolkien's various writings and drafts, but it would go along with him making parodies of Elves and Ents (it also keeps with the nice alliterative pattern). That it looks nothing at all like an eagle, save for having wings and claws, would not be amiss, since orcs and trolls about as similar to Elves and Ents..
Yes, nice alliterative analogy...elves and eagles and ents...oh my! It is very plausible, considering the eagles and fell beasts ended up battling above the Morannon, just as the eagles and dragons battled in the 1st Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
And I still tend to think that we didn't see them used sooner because either the few that were around weren't yet capable of being effective mounts, or because Sauron was holding them back to increase the fear factor when he needed it.
Well, the Olog-hai arrived late on the scene, as did the Uruk-hai, both creative output from Lithui Labs Ltd., Mr. Sauron Gorthaur, CEO (Chief Evil Omnipotentate).