View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #102
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Gorin was worried. The distant howling of the wolves had unsettled his companions. He had not talked to Kuric long before Sam, the hobbit, spoke his mind, but Gorin paid no attention to him at first; Kuric had not finished speaking. Kuric paused for a minute before attempting to say anything further, but he never got that chance.

"Should we light a fire?"
But as soon as she had finished speaking, and Gorin and Kuric stopped their discussion, then Erling gave a great outburst whose tenacity startled the dwarf.

“Look at this, you two should stop your mutterings in your own tongue and tell us all what to expect. I know quite well what you think. You think we are not capable to face what’s coming, that we are only a foolish folk, useless in a fight, unable to cope in tight spots. You despise us, you deem us unworthy of your great plans. I do not deny that I know absolutely nothing about battle. I do not deny that I am scared. But I am ready to fight whatever is to come, yes, with my frightened wits and rusted weapon I am ready to withstand it and try my best to defeat it. We all are. So show us some trust and tell us what we should do…” Fear and confusion was growing amongst them, and Gorin’s patience had been spent.

“Enough,” He cried allowed with outstretched arms, “I do not doubt your valor and courage young Erling, and no I do not despise you or anyone here. You have all shown great courage so far, but I will not be reprimanded by someone half my age, a mere boy compared to me!" Gorin stepped towards Erling in a threatening manner, but the young man did not flinch and grasped his weapon. The dwarf noticed his own weapon in his hand and half raised; it was then that Gorin realized that he was in the wrong. He let his arm drop to his side, and his shoulders sagged as he sighed.

“Come my good man,” Gorin said in a very passive and reluctant voice, “You call me untrustworthy and I call you a mere child, but we should both know better. I have brought you all into this predicament and I am sorry for that. Forgive my hasty words, Erling, there was no truth in them at all.” Erling didn’t respond in words, but the expression on the man’s face told Gorin all we need to know.

Another howl was heard in the night air, but this time it was directly ahead of them. Gorin spat and cursed at his negligence and foolish arguing, their prey was close at hand.

“Lea and Sam speak wisely,” he remarked, “We are blind not to have thought of it before. Kuric, could lend a hand and chop some suitable branches to be used as torches; I’ll start the fire in order to light them.”

Gorin reached back into his sack and retrieved a bag and box. He poured the contents in the sack out on the ground, shavings that he kept to lights fires in emergency, and started striking on some flint the he took from the box. In a matter of seconds a fire was started and was being fed with whatever things that they could gather.

“At least we’ll be able to rid ourselves of this nighttime chill in our bones.” He said rubbing his hands together vigorously.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 05-20-2008 at 05:04 PM.