View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 05:59 AM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Flow my tears, the spider said...

I write in regard to the single most disappointing part of the trilogy for me. So as not to make a new thread without much purpose, I will try to ask a more general question about the films. That is why I am not posting this in the Pelennor Fields thread.

The part of the films I was looking forward to more than any other is in The Return of the King. It is the series of events in the book which includes Theoden's fatal injury, Eowyn's battle with the Witch-King, her subsequent serious injury, Eomer's despair, madness and lack of hope, and reaches its climax with the arrival of Aragorn to the battle.

This for me is the most action-packed, frenzied, exciting, emotional scene in the book. It incorporates so much. I am not exaggerating when I say that I think this scene could have been the greatest in cinematic history.

So why was it tampered with so much? There are other parts of the film that have been understandably altered. The allusions to the passing of the Elves and the deep sense of melancholy that went with that were sadly missing from the films but most people can understand that this ommision makes sense.

But the Pelennor Fields? Eomer is nowhere to be found. Aragorn makes his arrival in a relatively meek and quiet way. Theoden gets to talk with Eowyn after the battle. The result is a watered-down version of the heroism and tragedy that should have been given to us.

And I can see no good reason for doing this. The reason I do suggest in the title is that Tolkien's scene was too violent on the ol' emotions. I will not deny that I had tears in my eyes as Theoden died. However, what could have been given was the brilliantly tragic way that Theoden died practically right next to Eowyn, yet had no knowledge of this. It seems as if the filmmakers thought that it would be better to have a fairly sad 'closure' of the relationship, rather than a tragic unfortunate lack of one.

When I read this part of the book I am awestruck at how amazingly fantastic it is. When I see the film I just think of it as alright. It surely cannot be to do with the medium, because other films manage this kind of epic scene very well. It also cannot be to do with the fact that it is fantasy, because the part I describe is a completely human story.

Any thoughts at all?