View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #928
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Much Happened after Æðelhild finished her story and not at all what she had expected. First off the King seemed annoyed, even a little angry, but the deep furrow of his brow was not directed at her but towards the two men she believed sent to drag her back to Minas Tirith and the hangman's noose. But as Hrethel helped her back to her chair the King was demanding answers of his two guests. It seemed that what news they had brought had not matched her recount and although shocked by some of what they had heard, neither man seemed surprised, if only a little disturbed.

Again it was the older of the two men that spoke first, evidently the one in charge. "Milord, as no doubt indicated in Lord Mordavim's massage, it was suspected that the charges against Lady Æðelhild where unfounded," [I]Mor...Davim? [I]She Knew that name, But a lord? "however until now we had no proof of it and the evidence against Milady was... well... is... persuasive and only strengthened by her unexplained absence." Strangely with an almost fatherly look the man glanced her way sympathetically before again turning his attention to the King. "The charges that Cild has brought against his own niece, puts her in danger weather true or not and..."

"Wait!" Æðelhild interrupted confused, "You mean to say that my uncle is not dead?" The two men looked at each other hesitantly, "No, you said the charges Cild 'HAS' brought..." a wave of relief rolled over her that she had not murdered the man, but it was short lived as she rose unseadily to her feet frowning. "If he is not dead then what charges does he bring?" she demanded uncertainly.

Again the two men hesitated seemingly reluctant to accuse her of that they did not believe, but she needed to hear it. Finally it was the King himself that spoke, reading aloud from a white parchment in his hand. " It grieves me to inform you that the charges made against Lady Æðelhild are of a most serious manner, that of theft, assualt and murder." If Hrethel had not been at her side she would have collapsed as her legs buckled under her from the shock. "No" she whispered tearfully, Even from a great distance it seemed her uncle could still deliver a painful blow, he would have known that with those charges she would dare not return.

But it had been too much and as the events of that night and those empty dead eyes staring at nothingness again haunted her memory something in Æðelhild snapped, anger and resentment poured out of her, How dare he! How dare he accuse her of the murder he committed! "No, I will not let him get away with this Insult!" she screamed angrily. "Even if I must return with you and petition the King himself." she resolved turning on the two as yet unnamed soldiers.

This time it was the younger of the two that spoke, stepping forward as if meaning to console her until he noted the sharp cool anger in her dark eyes. "I am afraid Milady that will not be possible, you see at this very moment the King is travelling northward with his family to spend time with friends in Everdim."

"And your uncle it seems has a great many friends or at least eyes and ears to insure that you never reached sight of the white city." The older of the two added sourly.

"Who are you?" Æðelhild suddenly asked regarding each man suspiciously. How was it they knew such things? And why were they really here? The more she looked and listened the more she thought the older of the pair familiar, as familiar as the name of her fathers closest friend; Mordavim or Uncie Davim she vaguely recalled calling him as a child. Another she had thought dead, Mordavim by all accounts had been in the Party including her father that had been ambushed and killed by supposed bandits in southern Ithielien, Though she had never believed that possible.

"My apologise Lady Æðelhild," The King announced, breaking the tension "forgive my manners, This is Captain Balvir of Ithielien."

"At your service Mi'lady," the older man replied bending his leg graciously.

"And this is Master Matrim of Arnen." he gestured to the younger man.

"Yor servant Mi'lady," he answered bowing as formally as the other.

This Matrim she was unfamiliar with, but Balvir... Captain Balvir, that name she did recognise he was another of her fathers friends. The silent shadows, she mused silently, as she tilted her head to regard the man thoughfully. But before she could ask why they were helping her and where they had been when she could have really used their help the King was speaking.

"It seems that Lord Mordavim agrees with his captain's assesment of matters and has requested that you stay away from Gondor until such time as matters are resolved or he sends for you. Having heard all that I have I would strongly advise you to take his counsel, but as to arrangements here that must be discussed further. But first we must eat, noon bell has long since rung and no man should make a decision on an empty stomach, come let us eat and see if I cannot help in some way." So with a graceful nod she and the others followed the King to the main hall.

It was late afternoon before those discussions drew to an end, to which much she had merely listened, picking out what was relevant and perhaps unsaid, but of them all it was Balvir and Matrim that left the most unsaid and she was in no doubt from some of the questions they asked her that it was of her uncle and some deeper matter, but for now she let it pass. The King as was undersandable remained reluctant to become involved in what he considered a Gondorian dispute, but he did remind her of her debt to Lord Eodwine, A debt of kindness she had always meant to pay off in service to his house. Although the other two did not see it, offering to have the lords Inconveniences repayed, Æðelhild knew this was the help the King had spoken of giving, even if it was the course she had originally chosen for herself.

After careful consideration she gave a slight nod of acceptance unseen by the others to the king. Who then rose breaking an arguement that had risen between Hamma and Balvir and making his apologises that he could be of no further help in this matter. All three of them rose and thanked the King for his time before bowing accordingly as Hama and Hrethel followed the King out.

It wasn't until she reached her own room that Æðelhild told the two men (who it seemed had been ordered to protect her) of what she intended to do. After being concerned that they did not know this Eorl and at the length of service she intended to take they reluctantly agreed. She sent them off to ready the horses while she quickly packed, it was in this time that Hrethel came to speak with her privately.

"Æðel my child, forgive me but I must ask. What do you intend to tell Lord Eodwine?"

"I mean as I all was did to tell him the truth and let him decide for himself the risks, It is the least I can do after the kindness he has shown." she answered truthfully.

The old man smiled suddenly, nodding his head as he pulled a sealed parchment from his belt, "The King bade me give you this letter, with message that you should give it to Lord Eodwine after you have revealed to him your secret. I know not what is written but it is sure to help.

"Be well and be safe Æðel" the old man said in farewell, "Be well and be safe." she returned clasping his hand "And thank you" she whispered as he let go and slipped out of the room.

Lifting her Pack and stuffing a small wooden simple under her arm she headed out to the stable. Balvir and Matrim already had the horses ready and waiting, and after helping her to attach her belonging they started out for the mead hall.

"Are you sure about this Milady?" Matrim whispered as they approched the hall, earning him a sharp look from his captain. "Indeed I am sure master Matrim, Lord Eodwine is a good man and I am sure he will help. But you must remember that I am Æðel a healer seeking to serve in Lord Eodwine's house and that you are a gaurdsman looking for work."

"I will remember Miss Æðel" Good enough she thought as they stopped at the stables.

"Matrim, see to the horses" Balvir ordered not seeing a stableman at hand, "Then join us in the hall." The young man nodded and went of to find the stable man or empty stalls she was not sure which, though she did not think Leof would be best please to find him snooping about. "the Stablemasters name is Leof," she called after him. Then she and Balvir entered the Hall together.

The hall was well lit and very busy, the delicious smells of honey'd ham and glazed mutton wafted through the hall masking the usual smell of stale ale and beer. Lord Eodwine was not hard to find and as she approached he rose to greet her and inquire as to if she would join him and his guests.

"Your Lord is most gracious as always," she smiled politely inclining her head in gratitude. "But I am afraid for the moment I must decline and more so I must ask your guests forgiveness as I hope to deny them your company that we may speak in private."

Last edited by Nerindel; 11-12-2007 at 09:35 AM.