View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
When you say that "Tolkien hits it" I really have no idea what you mean except that you approve of or like the characters--which of course is your right.
I meant that that scene seems to pass the Bechdal Test.

Quote:
Melian is more consistent and I like her trait of singing but even there I am bothered by the concept of her "girdle" which maintains the peace and serenity of Doriath. Again, this is my own personal grudge about the idea of a magical barrier that keeps a place safe. I don't believe that 'good' can be maintained against 'evil' that way. It's possible Tolkien didn't either because every time he uses the concept, it fails.
Didn't Galadriel maintain her "realm" in a very similar fashion, with the power of Nenya? She seemed to have had some success. Notice in each case it is the female who ultimately defends the home, despite armed might being in the hands of the males.

Quote:
Now, if The Silm had given us an extended passage where the two--Galadriel and Melian--discuss the fate of the world, that would have been something which would have demonstrated their intellect and wisdom. But we don't get that. Mostly we are told of their wise decisions rather than seeing how they negotiate the correct stance. Ultimately, we get a mum who really does not defend her daughter against an overbearing and autocratic husband/father. She never challenges the patriarchy for the sake of her daughter. Again, this is my personal value rather than a guideline for discussing how characters are presented.
Interesting. How would you characterize Melian's dealings with another mum, Morwen?

Quote:
I will say that at least Tolkien didn't indulge in pyrotechnics with Galadriel, which a certain director did. With Gandalf, we get exposition about his attraction to the ring. With Galadriel, we get fireworks. I would much rather have seen the actress emote.
Would that be an overreaction on the part of PJ, akin to warrior-princess Arwen? As in the only way to show power in a woman is physical demonstrations?

Quote:
Makes me very dubious about this Tauriel. Perhaps her red hair is supposed to be a joke about all those Mary Sues?
Is PJ really subtle enough for that to be the case?