View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #1237
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Harreld and Ginna

Ginna did not respond immediately. She was watching him. It made him nervous. Finally she spoke.

"Are you sure this is what you want? What changed since the last time we talked?"

He suddenly realized that he had just proposed marriage. He felt embarrassed, could feel his face heat up. He was glad it was not too light or she would see how red his face was. But maybe she could anyway. And what of that? Was not she going to be his wife? Well, maybe not. She had asked a question. What had she asked? He had forgotten in his sudden rush of thoughts.

"I'm sorry. What did you say?"

"Is this what you really want, Harreld? I wouldn't have you going into - into this, riddled with doubts. Or has something changed since we last talked about this?"

"Ah," he smiled. "Nothing has changed since we last talked, except my mind. I would spend all my days with you and none other." He paused, reading what looked like doubt in her face. "But what of you? Have you ... had a change of ... heart?"

Ginna ignored his question, for the meantime. She had a more pressing one of her own.

"And what of my father? How would you deal with his..." She looked away, letting the sentence trail. She did not want to say disapproval but did not know what word would suffice.

"His refusal? As Eomer, I suppose, though I do not think your father could put me under house arrest for taking you to wife, but he could disown you. 'Twould seem the question is yours to answer more than it is mine. What would you do?"

"I do not know," she said with a sigh. "I do not think it would come to that, but if it does..." Ginna stood and looked steadily into his eyes. She came closer.

"The one thing I do know is that my heart has not changed. And it will not. But if my father were to disown me, would you still have me?"

"Aye, I would have you, and keep you, until death parts us."

He stepped closer and wrapped her in his arms.

"No more doubts, Ginna. We will do this together, yes?"

Ginna said nothing, choosing instead to return Harreld's embrace. She did not know how many seconds, minutes, or hours they had stayed that way when a thought came to her.

"Harreld?"

"Yes, my love?"

Ginna smiled. It had always pleased her to hear him address her so.

"How shall we tell them?"

"Instead of telling them just yet, what do you say to going in to dance. Let them all see and make of it what they like." He winked, grinning. "Just a wee bit of mischief, I suppose."

"That's a wonderful idea." Ginna pulled away and looped an arm around Harreld's. "Well then, shall we?"

He looked down at her with as winning a smile as he could manage. "Yes, we shall."

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-23-2011 at 10:51 AM.