Thread: I Hate Feanor
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
Saurondil
Animated Skeleton

Saurondil has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkolas View Post
When discussing Sauron elsewhere, I reflected on the many horrific nicknames given to him and his master Melkor.

But ya know, Feanor should get some.

I despised no one in all of The Silmarillion more than Feanor. His stupidity and arrogance caused more suffering than anyone save the two Dark Lords. But whereas both of them started off with high purpose, Feanor just wanted his pretty jewels back. And don't tell me "he wanted to avenge hs father." If he gave a crap about his dad he wouldn't have abandoned one of his father's sons to possible death and certain suffering. The Kinslaying was barbaric and unnecessary but what he did to Fingolfin and the others right afterward should earn him the title of The Deceiver.

The Oath of caused untold pain and strife and I do feel sorry for at least a few of his sons but Feanor himself was an irredeemable monster.

So what say you? I thought of this topic after finishing reading LOTR forr the first time. I was contemplating the pitiable state of Saruman and the tragedy of his fall and I thought of the one major villain in Tolkien that I never felt sorry for in the least.
The logic that requires Feanor to be blamed for everything, doesn't go far enough - Morgoth is the source of all the evil in Arda, including that in Feanor. Feanor is as much a victim as a criminal - more so, arguably. A monster could not have made the Silmarils.
Saurondil is offline   Reply With Quote