View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 03:02 PM   #158
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Track 16: Forth Eorlingas

Computer is fixed, whee!

Like much of this soundtrack, some of the music is presented out-of-order. The first segment is when Gandalf the White reveals himself to Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. The second part is when Aragorn and Theoden ride out to meet the Uruk-hai, to when Gandalf and Eomer arrive with the Rohirrim.

This track is almost purely vocal for the first minute, with the adult choir steadily crescendo-ing over the children's voices. Pity I can't find out what they're saying, if anything.

There is really no transition made to the second part of the track. This part, in which Aragorn and Theoden ride out of Helm's Deep, is not quite triumphant, but contains a bold rendition of the Rohan theme. The theme does not resolve, but instead moves into the Fellowship theme as Gandalf arrives with Eomer.

And then comes the solo by Ben Del Maestro-- I cannot describe how much I love it. From Fellowship of the Word-Smiths:

Quote:
Solo in Old English (Rohirric)

for ðon hé wæs scea hé fæx wæs ford ealra mé du and hé fæx hlá [2.14]

Chorus in Old English (Rohirric) (simultaneous with above):

for ðon hé waes Sceadufæx FE [2.14]
hláford ealra méara

'For he was Shadow...., he, ...fax, was ...lord of all hor..., ...dow..., and he, ...fax, lord...'

'For he was Shadowfax,
Lord of all Horses.'

It is a fragment of The Mearas by Philippa Boyens:

'In the distance they saw him,
White sun caught in his mane.
Logn they called him,
But he would not come.
for he was Shadowfax,
Lord of all Horses.
And he answered only to one.'
I think it's interesting how the horse of Rohan bore the one who brought victory to Rohan in this battle, so cheers to Shadowfax! Even the end of this section doesn't seem to resolve 'normally,' though (on the tonic chord). The strings repeat the melody of the solo in E minor, and the melody finishes on E. But the note below it is A. It establishes the darker tone we will hear in the beginning of the next track.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote