View Single Post
Old 09-29-2003, 07:01 PM   #6
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting

Not to undermine your obvious knowledge Sharku, but how accurate are those quotes? After all, if only two dragons survived, and it was all those ages ago, how would such humble creatures such as hobbits even know of their existance? And yet hobbits do know about dragons, even as far as having an inn named after them. Even Bilbo knew of some ways in which a mighty warrior could go about slaying a dragon. All the quotes I've read, such as "with the general waste and destruction dragons cause going from bad to worse" among others seem to point toward a greater number of dragons than just two. perhaps "drakes" is a completley different creature than a dragon. In some fantasies drakes are very like dragons, but not quite as large and powerful. Maybe some drakes survived in the eastern wilderness and those were the creatures from which the hobbit's legends sprang?