View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 08:24 PM   #87
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Hmmm. This reminds me of Jung's darker side. Yes, I'm well aware of what you're talking about. I've had my share of experiences. Frankly, this feels nothing like what I FEEL in Tolkien. What I'm talking about has little to do with occultic practices (which I do not mean to demean or cast aspersions upon by so naming them). Tom and Goldberry don't feel heavy with recondite power. I had to look that word up after I used it, I don't know where it came from, but it was right-on. T & G are what they are, having no need for shadows and intermediary ritual. In fact, the sense I get from R.J. Stewart is more akin to the sense I got reading of the Nine Ringwraiths on Weathertop. Not to say evil, necessarily, but heavy with spiritual weight and reverberating with spiritual tembre. Recondite power. It feels foreign, alien, other, whereas Tom and Goldberry feel like home, boots and coat, land and river, cup and bowl, bread and wine. Wholesome.

T & G are Time and Place. Yes, Nar, I like that. I still don't know why, completely, though your development of the idea is fetching and creative and rings true.

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: littlemanpoet ]