View Single Post
Old 03-21-2003, 02:41 PM   #91
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

I went tramping, the day before yesterday. Trespassing, actually, the land is posted... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] but I had Frodo on the brain, and how he loved tramping around the Shire. I live in New England; it ought to be prime tramping territory. It's wild, certainly; but it's also largely private. People buy up the wilderness in order to protect it, and then of course they don't want you hiking through it.

So I brought m'dawgs, ducked my head as I passed the glaring, white "POSTED" signs, and walked a bit. It was a start. No Bombadil sightings, no Gildor. Not yet. Not even an Old Man Willow, although there was one tree that reminded me of the hobbits taking refuge under the roots, only much smaller...

Next trip will be a couple of miles away, in some open woods (open to hikers and hunters, not descriptive of the growth, I mean.) There I will resume my search for... something. Faerie, faraway song and dance, a glimpse of Bombadil or Gildor, but thinking more of Smith, and his Queen of Faerie.

lmp, the idea of "writing serious fantasy" has not faded. I just haven't found the start of the path into Faerie yet. The road goes ever on and on, but the beginning of the path eludes me at the moment.

I'm looking, though.

"For he comes, the human child..."

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]