View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #91
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan refilled his cup of wine and stared down into it as if it might impart to him some insight or nugget of wisdom that he had missed. He swirled the dark red liquid around before sipping at it. Then he looked up at his first mate. He spoke slowly as if testing the truth of his words even as he spoke them.

"I hope that there is no need for concern," he began. "I would like to believe that Falasmir bears nothing but good intentions for us. But the guards and the corsairs and the delays have caused me to doubt him. Yet I can perceive no good reason for him to hold an elaborate banquet in our honor..."

"But...?" prompted Airefalas.

Mithadan nodded. "We are at his mercy," he continued. "Berthing ships of war on either side of the Star and posting guards on the docks is a threat and nothing less. And the girl... Rama, you may have seen her, dark skinned and dark haired, slim and fair enough. She is a trader, one of the desert people. I asked her about a friend of mine who has gone missing in Harad. She warned me not to trust Falasmir and the woman who stood by him. The older woman, Wilma was her name I think. The corsairs alone gave reason for concern. But the warning... she spoke the truth, I could see that in her eyes as she spoke. She believes there may be some threat."

"Is that not enough?" asked Airefalas.

Mithadan shook his head wearily. "It is enough for me to tell Falasmir that we will leave in a matter of days. Our duty to King Elessar and Umbar's hospitality require that at least. And we will weigh Falasmir's response carefully. Also we will leave earlier than we will say. The evening two days hence, I think."

Airefalas' eyes widened and he stood abruptly. "That is your plan?" he said sharply. "To tell him that we are leaving, when the threat is clear?"

"Sit!" replied Mithadan with flashing eyes. "The threat only seems clear. That is my plan if we do not perceive any immediate threat. But if it seems that harm will come with certainty, I have thought of that as well and we will depart less politely."

He rose and took his first mate by the arm, pulling him into the sleeping quarters. Once the door was closed, he outlined his plan deliberately and with great detail. Airefalas nodded as he spoke, but his face remained serious. "Dangerous," the younger man muttered. "Very dangerous, yet I can think of no better way. It will give us at least a chance."

"A chance is the best we can hope for," the plder man replied. "Our ship lies at port in the heart of Falasmir's kingdom. We can do not better than to trust chance..."