View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 09:27 PM   #228
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Liornung gazed about him in awe, fearing to blink lest the sight vanished from his eyes. Sweet raptures went through him and he shuddered out of pure delight, vaguely concious of the argument between Amroth and the other Elves. He dared not move, though he longed to touch the golden leaves, to run his hands over the smooth bark of the trees. He did not dare. He clasped his hands tightly together, forcing himself to remain still.

And then he saw Argeleafa sitting off by herself, her knees pulled up to her chin and her face buried in her skirts. He had only glanced at her, but something odd compelled him to look again. He studied her in silence for a moment, wondering what it was that was different, and then he realized that her shoulders were shaking. Surprised, he crawled towards her and sat by her, listening carefully. She was sobbing. Very softly and quietly, so no one would hear, but sobbing all the same.

"Argeleafa, why do you weep?" he questioned, putting a hand on her head.

She looked up and he saw her tear-stained face before she dropped her head again. She spoke, choking on sobs and pausing occassionally to draw breath. "It's just that it is so beautiful here and I am so terribly lonely."

"But why would you weep because of beauty? And why are you lonely? We have been at your side constantly."

"Yes, I know," she murmured. "But you all know each other so well, and you do not know me. You are kind to me, it is true, but you hardly speak to me so I might speak to you. And Bellyn is so kind to me but she is so beautiful and wise while I fail in both things. I admire her so much but I want to be her friend, and I cannot because I cannot speak to her as a friend, only as an admirer. And then here it is so beautiful and it makes me think of home. It was always that way whenever the wayfarers came to somewhere beautiful... it made me think of home. I miss my dear little home so much..." She seemed as though she would continue for a moment, but then she looked about her and fresh tears began to flow.

Liornung remained silent, unsure of what to say as he ran his fingers through her hair. Guilt plagued him... he had been so much in wonder over the surroundings that he had not even looked at Argeleafa... and she was homesick. She was still a little girl yet.