View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #367
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The court continued after lunch. Eodwine now had time to hear the requests of the land holders and to decide whether he was able to grant their wishes. Thornden recognized each freeholder that came forward. He had seen all of the ones present when he had gone out to gather coin. Most of the land holders had not asked for any boon. Here at court, there were thirteen different families represented to speak with their Eorl. Thornden looked over all of them, recalling their names, and at the same time running over who had asked something of Eodwine and who had not. As Eodwine began to call them forward, one by one, Thornden drew from his pocket a list he had drawn out of all the people who had bidden him to take word to Eodwine. There had been fifteen separate requests.

‘Good,’ Thornden said to himself. ‘Only two have to be dealt with without someone here to receive the decisions. Who, now. . .?’ He perused the names and then looked at the people standing about, comparing them. ‘Ah, yes, Wistan was one. . .his daughter told me first of it. She was a pleasant girl. The other. . .Aerdlyn, right.’

Having figured out who he would have to speak for, Thornden turned his attention back to Eodwine and the proceedings of the court.

Each free holder came forward and stated his case. Eodwine considered them all, some taking more time than others, and then pronounced his judgement. The two who came last had an argument against one another. Eodwine heard them both out. One man claimed that his neighbor had planted an entire crop of oats on one of his outlying fields. Because it was land granted to him, he should now own the crop growing on it. The other man interjected - the field had lain fallow for two years, the owner wasn’t using it as it should be used, he didn’t do the work, if he wanted the field for his own use, he should have been out there breaking the ground instead of leaving it for neighbor to do.

Eodwine calmly asked the second free holder if he didn’t have enough land of his own to use for more crops?

“No, sir. I’ve expanded to all of my borders.”

“Is there land on either side of you, besides the side that this man owns, that is unkept and that I have not granted? Is there no other field that you could ask me for?”

“No, sir. On two sides of me are fields that are planted and kept. On the third side it is rocky, full of trees, and sheep and goats are pastured there. His field, directly adjacent to the property granted me is empty and has been left untended for two years, as I said.”

"You should have gone to the King or his man before you broke ground and planted crops. It would have saved trouble."

“By then it would have been too late. The oats needed planting, and at the time, I did not know that you were Eorl.”

Eodwine said nothing. He sat in silence for a moment, and Thornden ventured to lean closer to him. “If you’ll allow me, Eodwine,” he said quietly. Eodwine bent his head and listened as Thornden quietly spoke in his ear.

“I do not know anything about general laws or customs in a case like this, but I think, if the land has indeed lain fallow for two years and the holder has done nothing to prepare for crops this year, his neighbor does not seem to have overstepped his rights by going over there and making use of good land. If the field is being put to no good use, then the owner should not be permitted to continue holding it. Give the land to the one who planted it.”

“I will consider your words, Thornden. Thank you. For now, though,” he said, sitting back upright and turning towards the two men waiting his judgement, “you will wait for the answer. "Later today I will have more questions. I will call you back this afternoon before the evening meal is called up.” The two men bowed and turned away. Eodwine turned again to Thornden. “Were there any other requests from my land holders who were not here today?”

“Yes. There were two others. . .” Thornden told him of Wistan’s request - of the land lying behind theirs, now unowned and un used, ready for someone to pick up and replant. Eodwine quickly granted their request, and that was resolved. The second one was nearly the same and that was just as easily resolved.

“And that is all, sir,” Thornden said, looking up with a smile. “Everything except that case,” he nodded to the men standing back near the wall, “is done concerning your land holders. Most of them are quite contented folk.”

Last edited by Folwren; 06-23-2006 at 07:15 AM.