View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #56
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

The Ring Goes South keeps on following a similar pattern as Book I, Three is Company.

Now that the previous chapters in Book I and II had a lot of exposition where the Ring was discussed, and where Frodo had to go with it. Both Chapter 3s the decision of what to do with the Ring gets underway. And there's more similarities than I originally noticed on previous readings.

-Frodo's not going alone. Both Chapter 2s ended with Sam "eavesdropping" and joining Frodo.

-Both Chapter 3s the rest of the Fellowship is formed, but mostly "off screen," so to say. Merry and Pippin are secretly "conspirators," and it's not revealed in the story yet, but they're determined to leave with Frodo. The 9 walkers are determined, secretly (in a way) and revealed only after the fact by Elrond.

-There is a delay in the Frodo leaving. Three is Company, Frodo is waiting for Gandalf, who had gone off and later revealed he was trying to gather news on the Ringwraiths. Now, the Fellowship is waiting until Elrond's scouts find out what happened to the Ringwraiths after the flood.

-Merry and Pippin's role is most interesting. Frodo was set to leave the Shire with just him and Sam. Unbeknownst to Frodo, Merry and Pippin were conspiring to join him. As Elrond is off screen determining the members of the Fellowship, we peak in this time to Merry and Pippin "conspiring" to join.

Which got me thinking about the back-and-forth between Elrond and Gandalf about what's to become of Merry and Pippin. Elrond seems set to keep the two back and return to the Shire to do what they can in warning and preparing the Shire. First time readers won't know what Elrond's worried about, but his determination makes it feel like he foresees trouble in The Shire. Trouble that might be prevented by keeping Merry and Pippin back.

This is a display of the wisdom of Gandalf and Elrond, and again how the very wise cannot see all ends. To Pippin's shock Gandalf sticks up for them by reminding Elrond:

Quote:
"Neither does Frodo," said Gandalf. unexpectedly supporting Pippin. "Nor do any of us see clearly. It is true that if these hobbits understood the danger, they would not dare to go. But they would still wish to go, or wish that they dared, and be shamed and unhappy. I think, Elrond, that in this matter it would be well to trust rather to their friendship than to great wisdom. Even if you chose for us an Elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road to the Fire, by the power that is in him."
In the previous Chapter, Elrond is marveled by Frodo's accepting the Ring, and says he only knows 2 hobbits, Frodo and Bilbo, both have surprised him. Gandalf knows more about hobbits and is able to persuade Elrond to his POV. Even if Elrond foresees trouble coming to the Shire, and Merry and Pippin might be able to prevent it. He cannot see all ends, and perhaps keeping them out of the Fellowship does more harm to the quest in a way Elrond cannot foresee. (And maybe Merry and Pippin aren't able to keep out the evil that has already come into the Shire), Maybe, if Glorfindel is in the Fellowship, it is him that decides to stand against the Balrog and therefor Gandalf's important death and return does not happen? So many, scenarios and what ifs Elrond got his way, instead of Gandalf. But good thing Elrond trusted Gandalf's words that friendship will be more important in picking the Fellowship, because "power" would not make Frodo's job any easier.

My last point on the chapter is we see, if nothing else, Boromir's purpose is to supply the muscle. Merry and Pippin were critical in navigating Frodo through the dangers in the Shire and Old Forest. But here they are not strong enough to get through Caradhras. And literally they probably feel a lot like Bilbo, early on in his adventure, they're being carried around like a sack by Aragorn and Boromir. I don't think it's mentioned yet, but Merry and Pippin are probably feeling like maybe they should have listened to Elrond (but don't be hasty my young hobbits! )