View Single Post
Old 03-04-2004, 07:57 AM   #1
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Master of Ring by Ring mastered?

Well, I don't know whether this has come up before, but I sure notice something strange with regard to the ownership of the One Ring.

Gandalf said that the Ring could change masters if they suited itself.

Quote:
A Ring of Power looks after itself, Frodo. It may slip off treacherously, but its keeper never abandons it
So, Isildur, Gollum, Bilbo and Frodo are merely the Ring's keepers, not owner. Yet, three of them - Isildur, Gollum and Bilbo, had uttered 'My precious' at one time or another. The ownership of the Ring is not transfered to them just because they said 'My precious' upteenth times. But watch what happen when Frodo said: 'The Ring is MINE!'

Quote:
And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in barad-dur was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown.
Okay, let's compare that to what Isildur said when he claimed the Ring:

Quote:
This I will have as weregild for my father, and my brother
Obviously, he did not command the allegience of the Nazgul at that moment. Now listen to what Bilbo said:

Quote:
'If I am it is your fault,' said Bilbo. 'It is mine, I tell you. My own. My precious. Yes, my precious.'
Was it only me, or does that not seem strange that Sauron would NOT notice Bilbo in the Shire as he said those words? Why should Sauron notice only Frodo? Okay, I guess it is hard not to notice a sneaking hobbit inside your own kitchen, but what I want to know is did Mordor suffered an Earthquake when Isildur/Bilbo/Gollum said 'The Ring is Mine!'. Sauron's Nazgul would then be at their heels like dogs after a hare.
Hot, crispy nice hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote