View Single Post
Old 04-09-2003, 05:02 PM   #180
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pettygast found that he could not stand the loud sobs and groans emitting from the mouths of several of his companions, to say nothing of the sappy poetry and the accompanying background muzak. He pulled himself apart from the group and gazed out into the shadows. With trembling steps, the tall and stooping figure made his way forward to speak with the golden-tressed Merisuwyniel.

"My dearest Lady. I fear the time has come to say goodbye. For my own steps take me far distant from the path to Minus Teeth."

Pettygast looked out to the distant horizon and stared transfixedly towards the west, waiting upon a sign. Actually, he was hoping that someone would recite a poem on his own behalf and play some of that sappy Muzak to make his exit more memorable. But, alas, it was not to be.

He turned about and stared solemnly at the Elf. "I leave now dearest lady." With these brief words, he scooped up his bag of garage sale bargains, which made a great clattering noise, and cradled his staff of living wood close to his bosom.

"But, master wizard, where do you go?

"To a distant shore which can only be reached by the misty way....."

Merisuwynil looked up abruptly, and brought two fingers to her mouth, producing a very shrill whistle that was intended to command the attention of all those who were still alive and who hadn't yet left for other shores. "Hey, everybody, get over here. Pettygast is taking the Good Ship Lollipop and going to the place beyond the great rift and the bent seas which no one can get to but where everyone wants to go.

Several of the company leaned over to wish him luck. There were cries of "You don't say, old chap" and "Have fun!" Oragorn II inquired if Pettygast could look into some real estate deeds for him.

But, above the hubub and the din, Pettygast's irritated voice rang out, "Now, just a minute. I never said that, about going to that place in the West. That's not what I meant at all."

Merisuwyniel fixed a puzzled eye on the bedraggled wizard and demanded, "Then, what in tarnation did you mean?"

"Ah, the West is such a boring place. There's nothing of interest going on there. No, I go to another distant land over the bent way, one far more deadly, the land of Cam-e-oo."

"Cam-e-oo?:" The Elf looked alarmed. "But that is a place of great danger."

Pettygast moaned, "Tell me about it! For that way is perilous indeed. It is for those who are weak of heart and drop into the middle of a quest without truly understanding what's gone on before, and then quietly slip out with some sort of highfalutin excuse. And at the very end, they may be called back again, much to their chagrin and consternation."

"Must you go back to this land of Cam-e-oo?"

"That I must sweet Merisu, for it is a most fleet and fitting end." And he kissed her gently on the hand.

Then everyone waved goodbye to Pettygast as he stumbled out the door. But though the wizard strained his ears to hear the distant notes of muzak, no such consoling sound could be heard.

[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]