View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #15
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
You know, after reading Boromir88's and davem's points about Sam and his musing over the fallen Southron, it occurred to me that perhaps Sam sympathized in part because he saw himself (and Frodo and Gollum, for that matter) as though they were reluctant invaders themselves. Seeing how the Rangers felt about the crew marching north to help attack Gondor, perhaps Sam wondered if he might somehow be viewed similarly.

Regarding this most recent mention of Frodo’s more peaceful sleep as well as Sam’s pity, I would bring forward again a quote from the preceding chapter. I think it is important to this discussion and not all of us have been able to keep up with the threads.

Quote:
Yet even as he spoke his last words to Saruman, and the Palantir crashed in fire on the steps of the Orthanc, his thought was ever on Frodo and Samwise, over the long leagues his mind searched for them in hope and pity.

Maybe Frodo felt it, not knowing it, as he had upon Amon Hen, even though he believed Gandalf was gone, gone forever into the shadow of Moria far away.
This is a quote that I did not pick up on the first few times I read through the books, but I do think that Gandalf helped them along, encouraging them, even when he did not know just where they might be, and they in turn thought him dead. Maybe not as dramatically as he had on Amon Hen, but certainly as effectively.

It is interesting to note the difference between the landscape surrounding the Morannon and Ithilien, the first deserted by Men and second still frequented by them. Granted the area by Morannon probably never was lovely, it’s description seems almost lunar compared to very real beauty of Ithilien. Where the Black Gate is bleak and sickly to all five senses, Tolkien description of the rangers’ former homeland brings the place alive to all of the reader’s five senses. This description seems to highlight the beauty of Middle-Earth, contrasting it with the devastation that Sauron (and Melkor before him) would have it become. It is as if as long as Men do not give up ‘the good fight’, things may be marred but still possess an innate beauty.

To tell you the truth, I would not know a plot device from and egg beater, but I do enjoy this chapter immensely, regardless of, or perhaps because of, my literary ignorance.

Excellent observations on the parallels between the meeting of Faramir and the meeting of Aragorn, Mithalwen! I don’t believe I would ever have put that together for myself. Thanks.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 03-28-2005 at 05:54 AM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote