View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 AM   #756
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrīnišilpathānezel View Post
I would probably like LeGuin better as a writer if I had not met her as a person. Alas, I can say the same for a number of others, too... *sigh*
Poor Ibrin, most of would be happy to meet our favourite writers in person!

I think Robin Hobb is a very good read, and like Lommy said The Farseer trilogy is probably the best place to start. It's imaginative and good, in the later books it gets both more mature (dealing with equality & other current issues) and less inventive (it might be just me, though - I find dragons awfully dull).

I've read the Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and couldn't really see what's so special about it. The characters are way too simple and superficial to my liking, so I never bothered to check out the rest of them. I might do it some day though.

I'm currently rereading the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. They're both better (there are nuances I didn't catch when I was 13)) and worse (illogical stuff, the writer ignores things I consider relevant for the plot - she's not nearly so bad as a certain Stephenie Meyer though ) than I remembered. Anyway I like me some wonderfully androgynous badass vampires.