View Single Post
Old 10-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #604
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Group Post

Okay, our Group Post is going to undergo major revision. There's a certain collaborative vigor that goes with creating something real-time. But you have to have the time, and it has to be undistracted! - which my time wasn't. Also, I discovered that we really need to collaborate on the villain as well as the characters and plot. Whereas it's great fun to surprise the group, it only works if the surprises are thought out well enough, and that (oops) didn't quite happen.

For one thing, I didn't have Tharonwe thinking Elvishly enough, nor craftily enough, for that matter. He would have known that he would be at too big a disadvantage with 3 Elves against 1, in terms of both osanwe, and arrows, to let them get within shooting or speaking range. So Tharonwe is not going to let the Party get close enough to him to shoot or talk. Any "bargaining' will be done via long distance (out of sight) osanwe. Tharonwe and his merlocks are therefore on the other side of much muck and mire and water, out of sight.

That of course directly affects some of what has been written in the Group Post.

Tharonwe will "call up" Mellondu, and Raefindan and Ravion both will protest Amroth's indifference to Mellonin, whose suffering at the hands of Tharwone, will be communicated to all via osanwe, unless Amroth and the Elves attempt to protect the humans' minds from it (but why would they?).

The only damage to Mellonin will be five tiny muscles extracted carefully from her left cheek, and fed one each to the five merlocks. I don't know exactly what that would look like after it was healed, but let's just assume that Mellonin's face sags on the left side, and her smiles are all one sided only - but not her frowns.

Gwyllion and Aeron will be darted, and Gwyllion taken captive yet again!

Leafa will be the next bargaining chip after Mellonin. Her upper arm bone (whatever it's called) will be broken. She will faint (after being woken up), but will not be allowed to die.

Gwyllion's neck will be slit. This should be about where Amroth agrees to stop pursuing his quest, after much persuasion from the Elves and the humans, who swear oaths to continue the quest FOR him, without telling Tharonwe, and their minds closed to him.

Bellyn will have to live with survivor guilt.

The women will be found lying at the edge of the swamp the next morning, including the body of Gwyllion.

The Party will, of course, be more committed than ever to the quest, and will also do all they can to bring Tharonwe into captivity before they pursue the quest any further, so as to end his mischief (which, of course, will not end - it'll just be right in their midst, and limited by his bonds).

Oh. Ędegard and Jorje Tirril will still be missing. It will be up to the members of the party what to do about them. I know what Raefindan will think, and probably Leafa, I'm guessing.

How does that work?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 10-17-2004 at 06:43 PM.