View Single Post
Old 01-18-2002, 05:23 PM   #132
Ghâshgûl
Pile O'Bones

Ghâshgûl has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhudladion:
<STRONG>There is a little problem with your disproof of 2c). Also, your statement about the problem with 1) is shaky, unless you don't understand the difference between induction and deduction, and the use of common assumptions.
</STRONG>
If this were a logic forum, I would ask you to be more precise. It is very easy to use vague terms like "there is a problem with" and "shaky" about the parts that don't suit you. I would also tell you that using a single counter-example to disproove a claim is pure logic (you probably know this as modus tollens) and has nothing to do with induction. I would perhaps give the example of the claim "every prime is odd" which can be disprooved by one counter example (the prime 2, which is even). Furthermore I would ask you to precise what you mean exactly with 2), as you did not yet...

But this is not a forum about logic, this is a forum about Tolkien and the LotR. Probably most readers would not like it if we two doctors talk shop endlessly about formal logic... If you really want to continue this discussion, feel free to mail me.

Ghâshgûl