View Single Post
Old 08-08-2004, 09:03 AM   #15
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I believe this is all a matter of ignorance. We have become such a warped society that everything is becoming taboo. Even things that are wholesome and have been held true for decades. Everyone searches for a deeper meaning that isn't there and should have never even been thought about. The basis of which LOTR is written is friendship. Friendship is everywhere. Absolutlely everywhere. Friendship, brotherhood, loyalty, trust, devotion, and love. Not all of these values have to be tied in with lust. They can exisit among friends as well. It outrages me that people think so harshly on such joyous matters always trying to twist them into evil things. If you read closely at tolkien interviews you can see that they major issue he's trying to convey is friendship. I believe that Tolkien wanted people to focus more on Sam than any other. Sam was full of loyalty and devotion. He felt all of this for his master and friend at all times. He loved him, they were best friends, they were more than friends but more than brothers. But there is no deeper meaning than best friends. It's disheartening that society or the new teenage generation would search for such vulgar deeper meanings. I think we sneer at the unrecognizable friendship instead of searching for a friendship like that for ourselves.We would rather kick people while they're down and leave them than help them up to complete the journey together.