View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 12:43 PM   #29
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Evisse-- Well, at least we've reached an understanding!

Sapphire_Flame-- That's fine if you feel homosexual relationships are inappropriate in LotR; everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I must disagree, though, that as you say, slashing a story is like 'Sueing it. They're entirely different genres save that they involve romance.

Quote:
I don't believe homosexual relationships to be appropriate in any way. I'm not a homophobe; and I believe that people are free to make their own choices. But homosexuality contradicts nature.
You're right, the point of the thread is not to debate the morality of homosexuality, but there are homosexual animals as well as people, so I don't believe it's a contradiction of nature. It's a matter of love, simply put. I have gay friends and I hardly think they contradict nature. They're not going to be fathering children anytime soon, but it's not any sort of perversion.

I have to say, though, that I resent being called "immature" for the types of fanfiction I choose to read. I don't claim to be a Tolkien genius or anything, and in reading/writing slash it doesn't necessarily mean I deny or denounce canon. As I said before, it's just an expansion of possible undertones. I'm not into obscene/explicit fiction, slash or no, so it's not necessarily of a 'dirty' nature.

Quote:
But is it really so much trouble to try to enlighten yourself just a little, to realize that just because a small group does somthing it must be "normal" and unwaveringly accepted.
Are you talking about homosexuality or slash here? Basically with slash we follow a "don't like, then don't read" policy to avoid flamers. But if you're talking about homosexual relationships, yes, it should be accepted because the only way to have a peaceful world is through tolerance.

Out of curiosity, what are your opinions on AU fiction?
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote