View Single Post
Old 02-17-2003, 08:55 PM   #53
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Am I causing the BD to lose money? What can I do to fix this problem?

My earlier post wasn't meant to offend anyone, just to convey that my avatar wasn't that big of a deal for me. (I think everyone took it like it was meant, so I think it's okay.)

-'Vana
My comments were meant as a warning for unwary people not directly link to any Downs members

A quote from another site
We are receiving a noticeable increase in Direct Linking and Bandwidth Theft complaints from other websites. For those of you not familiar with this, Direct Linking is posting or otherwise causing to appear an image, which is hosted on web space, which one is not authorized to use. When you direct link, you are draining bandwidth from that web space and costing its owner money every time the web page containing the image is viewed.

We and other websites take this very seriously – not only is bandwidth a costly item for any site, direct linking is often the result of improperly using copyrighted images, which further compounds the problem.

We ask you to exercise caution in what images you use – if they are not yours, make sure that you have permission for their use, and house them on your own servers or hosted space. If we find direct linking and bandwidth theft in conjunction with a legal complaint, we will remove the images directly from your site. Repeated violations will lead to action being taken against both boards and individual users who are involved.

When I say do not direct link it is because direct linking is equal to stealing.

If you find a picture on the site say www.Alkaspics.com (made up site) and you direct link to it each time someone views the picture it takes up Alks bandwidth. Once the allowed bandwidth is used up the owner (Alk) has to pay for more. Example I have a fruit shop, you walk in and eat a piece of fruit, no big thing everyone tries the products before buying. But when 100 people tri 1 piece of fruit each that’s just cost me the owner 100 items.

Some items are also protected by the copyright and you may need to obtain authorization of the owner of such materials before using them.

I have no problem with people using pics on my page as long as they are used on the Downs or my site.

To fix the problem why not purchase items from the Downs Shop.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]